Friday, October 23, 2009

Faces

Just wanted to share a couple pictures of some of my villagers from the end-of-Ramadan feast.

I mentioned last year that for this feast, all the kids get dressed up in the afternoon, walk around town looking for unsuspecting adults, and then give them a number of blessings. For this dubious service, they expect a financial contribution to their pockets. I gave in a couple times this year. Here's one group...




This little man, Solo, is the youngest of the mayor's sixteen children (that's by my own, unofficial count). He's for sure one of daddy's favorites, and it's easy to see why...




Another of the mayor's family, Burama, often quizzes me about his favorite rappers, Aykon, Snope Dog, and a number of others whose names I can't decipher...




There are a number of children in village who are incredibly afraid of my white skin. This one's mother insists on me taking photos of her anyhow...




And finally, I never got all of them together, but there was a whole family of kids running around with these shirts. I would bet that Barack Obama is the top-selling clothing brand in Mali right now.

1 comment:

E. Jaenicke said...

Solo is the cutest thing ever. Even pouting and without his precious hair. Oh and its Snoop not Snope. You might be as cute as Solo. Take care D.- B